Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
OneSearch This link opens in a new window
A discovery tool that searches most of the University Libraries' collections, including books, journal articles, newspapers, dissertations, music, and video recordings.
Welcome to the UR research guide for Health Studies! Use this guide to learn more about the library's rich resources -- you can access books, databases, journals, and websites from these pages.
Other research guides may be helpful, including political science, sociology, psychology, and education.
Background information & key reference works for health studies
Use encyclopedias and dictionaries to obtain an overview of your subject, an understanding of basic concepts, a summary of key issues, and definitions. Articles frequently include bibliographies and may refer you to other entries on related topics:
- AccessScience (the online edition of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology)
- Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment - 52 ed.
REFERENCE RC71 .A14 2013
- Dorland's Medical Dictionary
REFERENCE R121 .D73 2007
- Encyclopedia of Bioethics - 3rd ed.
QH332. E52 2004 or online
- Encyclopedia of Cancer - 2nd ed.
REFERENCE RC262 .E558 2002
- Encyclopedia of Genetics
REFERENCE QH427 .E532 2002
- Encyclopedia of Immunology
REFERENCE QR180.4 .E53 1998
- Encyclopedia of Medical Anthropology, Health and Illness in the World's Cultures
RA418 .E354 2004 or online
- Encyclopedia of Microbiology
REFERENCE QR9 .E53 2009
- Gale Encyclopedia of Alternative Medicine - 2nd ed.
- Gale Encyclopedia of Medicine
REFERENCE RC41 .G35 2002 or online
- Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders
REFERENCE RC437 .G35 2003
- Gray's Atlas of Anatomy
REFERENCE QM25 .G72 2008
- Infectious Diseases: In Context
REFERENCE RC111 .I516 2008