Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
A discovery tool that searches most of the University Libraries' collections, including books, journal articles, newspapers, dissertations, music, and video recordings.
Welcome to the UR research guide for Biology! Use this guide to learn more about the library's rich resources in the biological sciences -- you can access books, databases, journals, and websites from this page.
I am the liaison librarian for Biology as well as many other science disciplines.
Please contact me if you need any help with your research!
Background Information & Key Reference Works in Biology
Use encyclopedias and dictionaries to obtain an overview of your subject, an understanding of basic concepts, a summary of key issues, and definitions. Articles frequently include bibliographies and may refer you to other entries on related topics:
- AccessScience (the online edition of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology)
REF Q121 .M3 2007
- Beacham's Guide to the Endangered Species of North America
REF QH77.N56 B43 2001
- Bergey's Manual of Determinative Bacteriology
QR81 .A5 1994
- Bergey's Manual of Systematic Bacteriology
REF QR81 .B46 2001
- Dictionary of Biology
REF QH302.5 .D5 2008
- Dictionary of Microbiology and Molecular Biology
REF QR9 .S56 2006
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity
REF QH541.15 .B56 E53 2001
- Encyclopedia of Evolution
- Encyclopedia of Genetics
REF QH427 .E532 2002
- Encyclopedia of Immunology
REF QR180.4 .E53 1998
- Encyclopedia of Microbiology
REF QR9 .E53 2009
- Flora of North America: North of Mexico
REF QK110 .F55
- Gray's Atlas of Anatomy
REF QM25 .G72 2008
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia
REF QL7 .G7813 2003
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms
REF Q123 .M34 2003
- Oxford Reference Online
- Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia
REF Q121 .V3 2008