Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
A discovery tool that searches most of the University Libraries' collections, including books, journal articles, newspapers, dissertations, music, and video recordings.
Welcome to the UR research guide for Mathematics! Use this guide to learn more about the library's rich resources in the mathematical sciences -- you can access books, databases, journals, and websites from this page.
I am the liaison librarian for Mathematics as well as many other science disciplines. Please contact me if you need any help with your research!
Background information & key reference works in mathematics
Use encyclopedias, dictionaries, and handbooks to obtain an overview of your subject, an understanding of basic concepts, a summary of key issues, definitions, and data. Encyclopedia articles frequently include bibliographies and may refer you to other entries on related topics.
- AccessScience (the online edition of the McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology)
REF Q121 .M3 2007
- CRC Concise Encyclopedia of Mathematics
REF QA5 .W45 1999
- CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae
REF QA47 .M315 2003
- Encyclopedia of Mathematics
- Encyclopedia of Statistical Sciences
REF QA276.14 .E5 1982
- Facts on File Dictionary of Mathematics
REF QA .F35 1999
- Handbook of Mathematical Functions
QA47 .A34 1972
- Mathematically Speaking: A Dictionary of Quotations
e-book and REF QA99 .M363 1998
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and Technical Terms *
REF Q123 .M34 2003
- Notable Mathematicians
REF QA28 .N66 1998
- Oxford Reference Online (The Consise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics & The Dictionary of Statistics)
- Van Nostrand's Scientific Encyclopedia
REF Q121 .V3 2008
* Also available in Science Reading Room, Gottwald