Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Why do we cite?
- Avoid plagiarism…intentional OR unintentional, always give credit to original author/creator
- Leave a “trail of breadcrumbs” to find information for yourself and the audience
- Be part of a scholarly conversation- trace the lineage of ideas
What do we cite?
- Information that isn’t common knowledge or general facts to you/your audience
- Direct quotations
- Summarizing or paraphrasing ideas from source
MLA Style Guide