Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
A discovery tool that searches most of the University Libraries' collections, including books, journal articles, newspapers, dissertations, music, and video recordings.
Welcome to the UR research guide for Environmental Studies! Use this guide to learn more about the library's rich resources on the environment-- you can access books, databases, journals, and websites from this page.
I am the liaison librarian for Environmental Studies as well as many other science disciplines. Please contact me if you need any help with your research!
Background information & key reference works in environmental studies
Use encyclopedias and dictionaries to obtain an overview of your subject, an understanding of basic concepts, a summary of key issues, and definitions. Articles frequently include bibliographies and may refer you to other entries on related topics.
- Atlas of Global Development / World Bank
- Dictionary of Environmental Science and Technology
REF GE10 .P67 2008
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity
REF QH541.15 .B56 E53 2001
- Encyclopedia of Environment and Society
REF HM856 .E53 2007
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Issues
REF GE10 .E52 2000
- Encyclopedia of Environmental Studies
REF TD9 .A84 2001
- Encyclopedia of Global Change
REF GE149 .E47 2002
- Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change
REF QC981.8 .G56 E47 2008
- Encyclopedia of Human Geography
REF GF4 .E54 2006
- Encyclopedia of International Development
REF HD82 .E547 2005
- Encyclopedia of Ocean Sciences
REF GC9 .E57 2001
- Encyclopedia of World Trade
REF HF1373 .W67 2005
- Environmental Issues: Essential Primary Sources
REF GE105 .E5825 2006