Provides library services, principally under direct supervision of staff, or working with a Student Manager.
1. Receives requests from patrons; locates requested materials.
2. Checks circulating and reserve materials in and out, using the online system.
3. Answers inquiries (telephone and in-person); refers questions to other library personnel as appropriate.
4. Shelves scores, recordings, books and journals; reads shelves on a regular schedule.
5. Completes physical processing of new CDs as needed.
6. Carries library materials to and from Boatwright Library and other locations on campus as requested by library staff.
7. Performs other assigned duties as needed.
Interest in providing service; reliability; willingness to work evenings and/or weekends as needed; music background and basic computer skills preferred.
Provides library services, sometimes without direct supervision of staff; supervises some of the work of Student Assistants.
1.Maintains a quiet, business-like atmosphere in the Music Library’s public areas. Opens/closes library on evenings and weekends.
2.Observes student assistants and provides constructive feedback; trains and assists them with library practices and procedures as needed.
3.Receives requests from patrons; locates requested materials.
4. Checks circulating and reserve materials in and out, using the online system.
5. Performs advanced circulation duties such as adding new patrons and overriding borrowing limits.
6. Answers inquiries (telephone and in person); refers questions to other library personnel as appropriate.
7. Shelves scores, recordings, books and journals; reads shelves on a regular schedule.
8. Completes physical processing of new CDs as needed.
9. Carries library materials to and from Boatwright Library and other locations on campus as requested by library staff.
10. In the event of a power outage or other disruption, follows established procedures to assist patrons and safeguard collections.
11. Communicates with appropriate University staff when questions or problems arise.
12. Performs other assigned duties as needed.
Experience working in the Music Library. Maturity and a strong sense of responsibility required to supervise student assistants and take charge of the Music Library and its collections when staff is off premises.
Completes physical processing of new scores and other paperback materials as needed. Assists library staff with special projects.
Completes physical processing of new scores, using commercial binding products.
Performs other tasks as needed to assist library staff.
Experience working in the Music Library. Maturity and a strong sense of responsibility. Knowledge of basic processing procedures for bound materials. Ability to work independently, follow complex procedures, and make decisions regarding priority of work. Attention to detail. Must be able to lift 30 pounds.
The Music Library’s journal collection consists of three formats: electronic journals, loose issues, and bound issues. Some titles are available in only one format, while others may be in two, or even all three. The way to figure out what we have is to check our Journal Titles web page.
Music Library journals do not circulate. They must be used onsite.
Loose Journal Issues
Recent issues of journals that we currently subscribe to in print are arranged alphabetically by title on the brown shelves in the back left corner of room 105. The current issue (which may seem out-of-date, due to the journal's publication schedule) is on top, while recent issues are stacked underneath. If you only see the current issue, that's probably because the other recent issues have been sent to the bindery. Depending on the workload, it can take the bindery from two to six weeks to return journals to us. If a patron needs a recent journal issue that should be on the shelf, but isn't, please refer them to Linda to discuss their options.
Bound Journal Issues
The Music Library binds older issues of some, but not all of its journals. Some bound journals are shelved at the end of the book stacks in Room 105, while others are currently in storage and are unavailable. If someone wants a journal issue that is in storage, please refer them to Linda.